Sunday, February 9, 2014

Grandma's Bread

1 can evaporated milk
2 cans hot water
2 cans warm water
4 T. yeast
2/3 cup sugar
1 T. salt
2/3 cup shortening
18 cups (5lbs.) flour

Mix milk, water, yeast, sugar and salt together.  Let sit for 10 minutes until bubbly.  Then mix in shortening and flour.  Divide into either rolls or bake in greased bread pans.  Let rise till double.  Bake 350 until the top is golden brown.

*I usually half this recipe because it won't fit in my Kitchen Aid and half of it will perfectly.  Also, because I like it a little sweeter I double the sugar.

This is a great recipe for making Navajo Tacos (I don't double the sugar for these.)

I also use this for making Cinnamon Rolls I keep the sugar doubled, spread 2 cups of brown sugar, 1 T. cinnamon, and 1/2 cup of butter.  Spread on the bread roll up and cut with floss into 1-inch slices.  Let rise double and bake until golden brown.

Also makes great bread sticks just roll into breadsticks, let rise until double, and brush with butter, granulated garlic and italian seasonings and bake until golden brown at 350.

No comments:

Post a Comment